Friday, February 4, 2011

ahhh, the douchebaggery....

okay, not everyone sucks.  but really, a lot of people do.  and i find that i'm not surprised or phased when someone chooses to do something disappointing.

amidst my recent discussions about the suckability of some people, i have found myself clinging to the fact that when someone turns out to be a douchebag (both men and women can demonstrate douchebaggery) this is only 1 of 7 billion people on the planet.  i instantly feel better after i remind myself of that. 

but why does it keep happening over and over again? in my life? to my friends? to my family?

why do people continue to be selfish and demonstrate a complete lack of consideration for others? particularly for people that they claimed to love at one point?

i don't get it.  is it entitlement, is it selfishness...should "douchebaggery" be put into the DSM as a identifiable illness?  where are the parents of these people? is douchebaggery genetically passed down from one generation to another? is it in some people's DNA? are there classes offered somewhere? where does it come from and why WHY do people think it's okay to behave this way?

i'm beginning to wonder.

i'm not saying we don't all make mistakes. we do. i do. everyone does.  but when will we ever learn from them?

it's so disappointing.  but it doesn't shock me anymore.

that's the most disappointing thing of all. 

if i understood, maybe i would feel better but i don't. and i'm tired of the old excuse that men can't understand women and vice versa.  when did that become a viable reason for mistreating someone for your own gain?

yeah, i'm judging. but in the world of me, that doesn't make any sense.  i can't wrap my head around the idea that it's okay to take advantage of those around you for any reason (because you're selfish, because you want to 'hurt' someone, because of instant gratification). 

and for those who may read this and tell me i'm judging, you're right.  but it's not about the person, it's about the behavior and the choices.  how does someone conclude in their head that this is okay? am i the messed up one? did i miss that memo?

and for those of you who may read this and tell me that i don't understand because i've never *insert what you will here...been married, divorced, had kids, been cheated on, been shot in the face....blah blah blah*...shut it.  manners, thoughtfulness, and consideration of others are UNIVERSAL.  you know what else is universal? abuse, manipulation, and exploitation. i'm so sick of the "you don't understand," defense.

ummm....perhaps it's you that doesn't understand. 

jeebus, denial is a powerful thing. 

how we treat others is a pretty good indicator of that kind of people we are.  it also says a lot about how we feel about ourselves.  if someone is hurting others, i'd bet money that they're abusing themselves as well.

i hope and pray that when i feel as though i'm entitled to behave badly, that i stop and make a better choice.  not just for those around me, but for myself.  what kind of person do i want to be? do i want people thinking about me that i'm thinking about this guy....or that girl....or this or that organization?  no. i don't need that negative energy. i know i sound like a broken record, but i need reminders like everyone else.

note to self: check myself often.

and now the question:

are you a douche bag? or does the douche stop here?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As you say, everyone has their moments and I have my fair share as well. However, I respect those I love. I've never felt better about my situation when I treated someone badly. It's only ever bred more anxiety. I think if people would stop being so defensive and realize it's totally ok to admit that you made a stupid move, then things would be a lot better. Instead everyone take the time and energy to defend themselves to the death for their DBery only to still be in the wrong in the end. If they'd just say, you know what, yep I'm an AHole, sorry about that I really need to watch that. They'd be amazed at how easy it is for others to let go.