Friday, January 14, 2011

spaceballs: the search for more money

more money, more things.  and the continued pursuit of more money and more things. i find myself feeling disheartened more than i feel happy. i'm a tad disappointed in most people at the moment.  when i'm aware, it reminds me to be mindful of my feelings, figure out why i'm so displeased, and see if i can change it.

but i suffer from "nothing is ever going to change syndrome." or NIEGTCS, if you will.

**haha, try and read that out loud. i did and totally cracked myself up.**

people seem to be demonstrating an overwhelming sense of entitlement, selfishness and complete lack of consideration for others, all in this pursuit of getting more.  more what? it doesn't matter. things.  power.  control. 

i find myself suffering from it too.  from the client who thinks he/she shouldn't have to pay for anything, to the complete lack of tolerance/understanding of differences (religious and political), to the resistance of positive change, people lying about intentions when attempting to gain stuff, power, and control. sometimes i feel like all i do is complain about what is going on around me.  i can't tell you how many times i say, "i hate everyone."  i yell at people in my car, i feel rage when someone doesn't use their turn signal.

funny thing happened....the more i see it, the more i participate in it.  i need stuff.  i need power. i need control.

i then become entitled, selfish, and find myself having no consideration of others. i disappoint myself really.

and then, the dalai lama updates his facebook and tells me how to solve this problem:

In contemporary life, humility is more important than ever. The more successful we become, both as individuals and as a family, through our development of science and technology, the more essential it becomes to preserve humility. For the greater our material achievements, the more vulnerable we become to pride and arrogance.  --Dalai Lama

back to the basics people. gratitude, honesty, acceptance, humility (i think we often forget that last one).

because the more entitled and selfish i become, the more i forget what my purpose is.  i really don't think i was put here to have "things". 

i think my purpose is to have experiences.

i am so blessed right now.  i have been for my entire life. because i have always had a roof over my head, food to eat, clothes to wear, people to laugh at (i mean with...*shifty eyes*), and family and friends that love me. 

oh yeah, and i have several coach bags. they complete me.

just kidding!

sort of....

No comments: